May 14, 2012
We so often look outside of ourselves for joy, approval, and love. Looking for someone else to make us feel worthy turns into an endless, draining, competitive journey. It is up to each of us to approve of ourselves, to love ourselves, and to find joy. We have been taught by marketing that anything outside of us will be the answer to all of our unhappiness and discontent. We come to a point in our lives where we realize that even with all of our degrees, titles, homes, cars, travels, and money, we still feel empty. At this point, we can buy more or chose to look within to fill our own emptiness with loving who we are and pursuing what really matters in life to us independent of what others may have to say.
Here are ten fun, simple things to engage in to start your journey to finding the joy, peace, and happiness that is within you.
1. Live in the moment. Find joy in whatever you are doing. Stop waiting for some big event in the future to make you happy. Life happens in the moment in the simple everyday activities.
2. Fully engage in life. What do you see around you? What are the smells? The colors? The miracles of life that you miss in your hurry to get somewhere else?
3. Don’t take yourself so seriously. Learn to laugh at you. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.
4. Smile at strangers. Say hello to people you do not know. Feel the joy in giving from your heart.
5. Be a kid. Tell jokes. Skip down the street. Get an ice cream cone. Belly laugh for the pure joy of being alive.
6. Look in your mirror and tell yourself, “I Love You!” Keep telling yourself until the committee in your head that tells your otherwise is silenced.
7. Listen to your voice that whispers your deepest desires to you. Get gutsy and follow through on one of the ideas. It is really what you need and want to do. Just do it. Trust!
8. Wake up one day and totally redesign your entire day. Drive a different way to work, talk with different people, take the day off, eat at different times, try different food. Re-create your day.
9. Wear something or some outfit that you have secretly wanted to wear for some time. Feel how your entire being comes alive. Feel the power within you.
10. Turn on music you love in the privacy of your home and let your body dance you. Feel the aliveness that is you and the joy, peace, and love in free movement.
When you start to recognize the difference of creating your life from within as opposed to what the world tells you to do, you will experience more joy, more creativity, and more love. You will be free to be your authentic self living with passion and purpose.